4/19/2015

"NOTHING" Hamlet Act III Scene 2


HAMLET
Lady, shall I lie in your lap?

OPHELIA
No, my lord.

HAMLET
I mean, my head upon your lap?

OPHELIA
Ay, my lord.

HAMLET
Do you think I meant country matters?

OPHELIA
I think nothing, my lord.

HAMLET
That’s a fair thought to lie between maids' legs. 

OPHELIA
What is, my lord?

HAMLET
Nothing.

OPHELIA
You are merry, my lord.

HAMLET
Who, I? 

OPHELIA
Ay, my lord. 


[HAMLET, Act III Scene 2]


Now, reread the scene, knowing that in the Elizabethan Era, “nothing” (pronouced as "noting") was a slang term for the female genitalia. And that when Hamlet says "country matters", Ophelia hears the "cunt" inside the "country". That tells a lot about the characters, doesn't it? 

+ check out the thing with another Shakespeare's title, MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING 

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz